A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 11 February 2018

Gokotta, an exhibition about birds.


Having recently returned from a wonderful five weeks staying with my daughter in New Zealand, I am now feverishly trying to get my head around the fact that I am one of six artists preparing for an exhibition here in Eastbourne. It's title is Gokotta, which is Swedish for 'Getting up early to hear the bird song'. Hence my theme for this post being inspired by our feathered friends.


My daughter keeps chickens, so I spent a happy few hours one afternoon trying to sketch them, but for some reason they didn't seem to understand that I needed them to keep still!





Anyway, making quick sketches are always good practice for looking more thoroughly.













Eventually I collected a few of their feathers, and made some feather prints with paint. I intend to work into these prints, and did manage to make a start with the print at the top, adding some pen and paint for detail.


Above is a stitched textile of some feathers that I made a few years ago. If you like birds, and are interested in art, I can recommend a trip to Eastbourne this March.  We are also running some daily workshops which will be very inspiring, and you can find all details on the Gokotta link above. Maybe something to look forward to during this very cold spring we seem to be experiencing this year, so cheer yourself up, and come along! We would be very pleased to see you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!